Thursday, February 28, 2008

Off to Camp

Yesterday, my sixteen-year-old daughter went off to Carcar, a southern city in Cebu, for their Girl Scout camping. They will be staying there until Sunday. Actually, it's her last camping activity since she will be graduating next month.

You could just imagine how nervous I felt, letting go of my youngest child and only daughter at that, to some place all on her own. When her three older brothers went off to camp during their high school days, I wasn't as nervous at all. Perhaps it's because they were boys and I knew they would have managed.

So last night, before she even reached her destination, I have already called up my husband's cousin who is living there and asked her to check on my daughter. The problem was, it was raining so hard that she couldn't go to the campsite but promised to do so today. I felt like flying, thinking how she could manage to set up her tent and be comfortable with the heavy downpour. I sent text messages to her on what to do and how to do them, and not quite satisfied with the short replies, I called her. And wonder of all wonders, she sounded really cooool! She told me not to worry and that everything's fine, and security-wise, a big group of police officers and even some army personnel are deployed to watch over their camp. I felt relieved, and I felt that my baby is now a lady, and that it's okay to let her go SOMETIMES.

This morning though, when I woke up, there was a text message from her. And her message? "Mom, can you ask Tita Inday if it's okay for me to take a bath in her place? Bathrooms here are so eeowww!!". Oh well....

No comments: